Friday, February 18, 2011

Fusionbrands Poach Pods

Picking through my drawers, I had forgotten about these:
these are Fusionbrand Poach Pods, designed for poaching eggs. Now I know what you are saying culinarians, "Why do you need those to poach an egg? You should know how to do that? These are just tools of the stupid." Forgive me for liking the fact that I can poach a ton of eggs in these, not lose a single drop of egg (no waste, they all look identical, and they all are cooked to the same degree) So you went to school, and I just covered every aspect of food service you got taught, so I win. Now I will treat you like idiots. Also because my friend at "The Apartment Kitchen":
http://theapartmentkitchen.net/2011/01/12/poached-eggs-over-cheddar-polenta-2-meals-in-1-part-1/
told me she received some scathing reviews from "educated" cooks in her equipment corner so to make amends...I made eggs, here is how they work:
These are eggs, of the large variety
This is simmering water, 180F NOT BOILING!!! 
This is adding oil and then brushing it in to the mold
This is eggs in pods in simmering water
This is the lid on the eggs, in the pods, in the simmering water
This is the timer, set it for 6 minutes, I know it says 5:58 but you take a pic that fast
This is releasing the egg, with a spoon, from the pod, to put on the plate, flip it over so the flat side is on the bottom
This is them done, starting at 4 o'clock going clockwise: plain, decorated with chives, shaved truffles, and cajun spices
I will give you a segment of actual writing. Grease the pods, lay or sprinkle in garnish, add egg, cook, done, this is all you get.
Semi-firm and slightly runny yolk...on all of them
I ate them, for dinner, they were yummy, now my cholesterol is that of an egg yolk, and yummy
Now that I am done treating you like an idiot. (Just the educated cooks who are hating on these, all other readers...I love you. Give me a hug, a nice long uncomfortable creepy hug). For  $9.99 you get two of these, good for the home cook. We did 2 dozen of these at Christmas, took 72 minutes, and we stored them in ice water so we could you reheat them later for use. So my father who spends his Christmas morning poaching eggs for Eggs Benedict, now was able to crank these out at the rate of 1 per minute. Now my friend at the Apartment Kitchen says that these are not useful for large production, well I say if you have a steamer and you have one of these:
Now you can do these mass production quantities, not lose a drop of egg, they all look the same, and are all cooked the same...again I win. Save your salt and vinegar water and your eggs and try these. They have never failed me, not once. You can also do custards, gelatins, mousses, ice creams, bombes, even cakes in these. Idiot.

3 comments:

  1. I super enjoy the idiot talk :) And I LOVE poached eggs. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great post! I have always wanted to buy these and try it. I will give you a hug now, but not an uncomfortable creepy one.

    ReplyDelete